AMES, IOWA – A trio of high schoolers from Maquoketa took home the top scholarship prizes at the Beef Scholarship Extravaganza hosted by the Iowa Cattlemen’s Foundation on Dec. 4. FFA students Courtney Becker, Brooke Lapke and J.P. Crowley will split $3,000 in scholarship money.
Beef Extravaganza took place at the Hansen Ag Learning Center on the Iowa State University campus, and 28 teams competed. The scholarship event, which is for students interested in cattle and beef production, involved 70 high school students from around Iowa. They competed for cash scholarship awards for the top four teams that totaled $7,650. Students were challenged at 10 different stations to demonstrate their skills and knowledge.
The second place team, from Crawford County, included Jessica Meseck and Emily Boettger. They will split a scholarship totaling $2,250.
Monticello FFA team members Gavin Timm and Zach Timm won third place and $750 each. The fourth place team was Benton County Cattlemen with team members Mitchell Hanson, Nick McQuilkin and Drew Wiley. They will each receive $300 scholarships.
Scholarship dollars won at the Extravaganza can be used at any university or community college. In addition, if the student will be attending Iowa State University College of Agriculture, Kirkwood Community College, Hawkeye Community College, Muscatine Community College, Des Moines Area Community College, Indian Hills Community College or Iowa Lakes Community College, those institutions offer additional matching scholarships to students on the top four teams.
Team scores at the 10 different stations were added to determine the winners. Each station tested specific skills and knowledge of the students. Teams scoring the highest number of points at each station were also awarded plaques. Those station winners are:
- Health and Handling – Tied for first: N-T-E-M (Jake Hlas and Megan Pansegrau) and West Marshall (Garrett Nichols and Madelynn Green)
- Nutrition – Tied for first: EJ Farms (Jessica Meseck and Emily Boettger) and Maquoketa FFA Juniors (Jon Ernst, Blair Bennis and Abe Kinrade)
- Marketing – Tied for first: Maquokets FFA Seniors (Courtney Becker, Brooke Lapke and J.P. Crowley) and Monticello FFA (Gavin Timm and Zack Timm) and Roland Story FFA ( Braydon Lester and Jacob Sterle)
- Seedstock / Merchandising – EJ Farms (Jessica Meseck and Emily Boettger)
- Keep/Cull – Benton County Cattlemen (Mitchell Hanson, Nick McQuilkin and Drew Wiley)
- Job Interview/Resume – Tied for first: Maquoketa FFA Seniors ( Courtney Becker, Brooke Lapke, and J.P. Crowley) and Benton County Catllemen ( Mitchell Hanson, Nick McQuilkin and Drew Wiley)
- Industry Issues – Roland Story FFA ( Braydon Lester and Jacob Sterle)
- Reproduction – EJ Farms ( Jessica Meseck and Emily Boettger)
- Credit and Finance – Tied for first: EJ Farms (Jessica Meseck and Emily Boettger) and West Marshall ( Garrett Nichols and Madelyn Green)
- Beef Management – Boyer Valley FFA (Bailey Schaben, Alec Lapke, and Christain Klein)
Sponsors of the event are: Farm Credit Services of America; Purina Animal Nutrition, LLC; Iowa Beef Breeds Council; Iowa State University and the Hansen Ag Learning Center Staff; Muir Embroidery; and Iowa Cattlemen’s Foundation.
The Iowa Cattlemen’s Foundation sponsors several scholarship and learning opportunities for young people. Find out more by visiting their website www.iowacattlemensfoundation.org.