Iowa egg farmers have long supported families in need through egg and egg product donations, and their dedication only continues to grow. Today, more than 45 million Americans, including 15 million children, may experience food insecurity, according to Feeding America’s The Impact of the Coronavirus on Food Insecurity in 2020 & 2021 Brief. Iowa Egg Council is proud to support this important cause.
The American Egg Board (AEB) is unveiling the 2021 First Lady’s Commemorative Egg along with a record-breaking pledge by America’s egg farmers to donate more than 90 million eggs this year to food banks across the country. The landmark commitment is shared in conjunction with a cherished Easter tradition on behalf of America’s egg farmers honoring the first lady.
The 2021 First Lady’s Commemorative Egg honors the American spirit of optimism in the wake of COVID-19. Showcasing the iconic cherry blossoms of our nation’s capital, this intricate design reflects hope and our shared American values in the spring season of renewal.
With so many Americans going hungry today, the American Egg Board is honored to present the First Lady’s Commemorative Egg along with this commitment to hunger relief. America’s egg farmers are pledging to:
Support American families facing food insecurity by encouraging equitable access to sustainable nutrition.
- Donate more than 90 million eggs to food banks and communities in need this year — double their donation of 46 million eggs in 2020.
- Provide wholesome, nutritious eggs with powerful nutrients to Americans everywhere, every day.
Kevin Stiles, Executive Director of Iowa Egg Council said, “While eggs are in demand all year round — especially at our nation’s food banks — they are the cornerstone of spring celebrations and Iowa’s egg farmers are especially proud of the egg’s prominent place on our community’s tables. We want to make sure everyone can enjoy the versatility and nutrition of eggs. Eggs provide a complete source of high-quality protein and other important nutrients that growing children and people of all ages need, and Iowa’s egg farmers are committed to making sure every family has access to the high-quality, wholesome and nutritious food.”
- Designed by master egg artist Russ Hagen, the 2021 First Lady’s Commemorative Egg features intricately crafted cherry blossoms to reflect the spirit of hope and renewal inherent to springtime.
- America’s egg farmers have traditionally donated all the real eggs used annually for the White House Easter Egg Roll. This year, these eggs and more will be donated instead to support families facing hunger during this challenging time for our nation.
- Eggs are always in high demand at U.S. food banks because they are nutritious, versatile, easy to prepare, and delicious.
- Eggs provide a complete source of high-quality protein and other important nutrients, like choline for brain health and development, that growing children and people of all ages need